Rhinoplasty is a surgical operation that doctors conduct to change the appearance of a person’s nose. They perform this procedure to alter the proportions, overall size, and shape of the nose. This might be necessary for two main reasons. First, it enables doctors to correct deformities resulting from injuries and birth defects. Secondly, it can resolve breathing difficulties.
How to prepare for a nose plastic surgery?
Doctors specializing in cosmetic surgery consider many aspects when people visit them for plastic surgery for their nose. They carefully examine the features of their face, including the skin covering the nose. Doctors go on to ask them what changes they want to see on the nose. Accordingly, they prepare a customized treatment plan.
Before the operation
Before making arrangements to schedule a rhinoplasty operation for people who won’t take it, doctors will:
- Go through their previous medical history,
- Conduct a thorough physical examination,
- Ask them about their breathing difficulties,
- Take photographs of the nose from various angles,
- Enquire into what other health issues they have,
- Ask them about what medicines they currently are taking,
- Ask them about their expectations from operations,
- Tell them of potential complications which can arise from the operation, and
- Instruct them to avoid smoking, taking aspirins, and medicines, which cause excessive bleeding.
During the operation
On the day of the nose plastic surgery, doctors will:
- Sedate the patients with a local or general anesthesia,
- Make small external incisions near the base of the nose between the nostrils,
- Readjust all of the nasal bones and adjacent cartilage to improve breathing,
- Replace the skin and various tissues back onto the nose,
- Stitch up the incisions and bandage the nose.
After the surgery
After the operation, doctors will instruct the patients to:
- Rest with their heads above their chest to minimize swelling and bleeding,
- Change the dressing of the nose seven days after the operation,
- Avoid all forms of strenuous activities,
- Take a bath rather than a shower,
- Do not blow their nose,
- Have a high-fiber diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables,
- Avoid smiling or laughing till the nose heals,
- Brush their teeth gently without moving their upper lip too much,
- Avoid wearing sunglasses for at least three weeks, and
- Avoid wearing clothes that they have to pull over their heads.
Doctors insist people take a week’s rest after the rhinoplasty surgery. Then they should revisit their doctors for a checkup. The swelling on the nose generally heals after a few months. They can perform most of their normal activities within a week after the operation. However, it takes at least four weeks for them to return to their normal activities.
The potential risks and complications of this surgery include;
- Discoloration and pain from the swelling,
- A reaction to the anesthesia the doctors use,
- Minor issues in breathing
- A feeling of numbness in the region of the nose.
Nose plastic surgery reshapes the nose of a person successfully. It is a safe surgery that is affordable for both men and women. There are good clinics that conduct these surgeries across the USA. Choose one with a good reputation and patient testimonials.